Unfavorable Topography

Wednesday, February 12, 2003

A good day had by all I hope. Interesting to find you here? Ah, indeed. What is that you say? No, no, by all means, please help yourself. I am in the 'waiting in the wings' period in my life, I'd like to have you know. Why yes I have. I have known them for many years. If I may prounounce whatever faith I may on you child that would be wonderful. So you see many people realize that I was once a giant killer. Yes, I do not lie, would I lie to you? I used to slay giants, that was my job and I must say I was pretty damn good at it. It is true I tell you (as I stand to profess my sanity). Giants ruled everything twenty to thirty years ago. They lived in poor housing and wonderful manchurian homes on the southeast side of Bismarck, North Dakota and all the way to giant glass duplexes in the hills of Beverly. The first one I ever saw actually attacked me before I even knew what it was, I saw it out of the corner of my eye as I was delivering milk and tacos to an elderly couple half my size. So you could imagine what they thought when they saw the twenty-four foot giant standing behind me as I handed them the delicious tacos followed by the mouth-watering glass of frosty cold milk served 'classic style' in half gallon glass bottles. And before the giant grabbed me from behind I watched in amazement as the young elderly couple scarfed down the tacos and spectacularly filled their bellies with the delicious milk. Oh, how proud was I right before that giant nearly ripped my head off. The concrete porch was like a wonderfully elaborate viewing window into the appetite of such a strange elderly couple, yet I was so filled with delight at the haste in which they ran into their house empty milk bottles and crinkled wrappers in hand screaming their dear lovely lungs out all the way through their house and out their doorwall, or backdoor as it was liked to be called by several non-denominational christian ministers in the year 1949. I sighed and then went back to work. As I turned to take the plunge into the moat that separated the front porch to the rest of the yard--funny how an old young couple built a two foot moat surrounding just their porch in a neighborhood the size of Springfield, Illinois, it seems like such an insignificant amount of land to barricade your private property with, in this neighborhood everyone keeps their garages open anyway so people can be a little more neighborly and come through the garage door--I found a giant hovering bear attacking an old man, but before I was able to react to that situation I saw this giant swinging his chubby hands at me. So I dashed off the porch towards the backyard fence when it caught and grabbed me and with no warning (he didn't say a word) he slapped me on the back, said "howdy" and lightly punched my arm before squaring me up and tackling me into the fence. I almost thought it comical the way he set me up for that little prank of his, I was more worried about replying with the right intonation on the "howdy" rather than preparing my body for the drubbing it was about to take. And wow, did that sonuvabitch pound me like no other giant before him. That's how I got in the business and that day was the reason I quit that day from the business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home