Unfavorable Topography

Wednesday, February 05, 2003

They haven't had yogurt all week. What is up with that? I say, dear establishment, SHUT IT DOWN. Now I do not want to make it seem that I am half-assing my way to the top here, but it sure seems that way recently. Therefore, I have felt meaningless and subdued for a good three days. I have been restless and impossible to work with. The shoes are looking better though, I must say that day of rain sure gave me a smashing good time as it smashed my brain to the ground; into the ground, into it. So you have to thrust your fingers into the earth, grab the worm, get dirt underneath your fingernails. What a feeling that is...it makes me feel alive. This is why yard work is so envigorating. Helping mother with the flower beds was such a relaxing time. Digging up the roots from last year's planting, grabbing the hatchet from the inside wall of the broom closet and running outside pretending I was Natty Bumppo. I would hurl the hatchet towards the stump of the old Russian Olive tree that stood on the west side of our house. Than I would let loose on those darn plant roots, who would have thought that such beautiful flowers, perennials and the lot of 'em, would have such amazingly tough and deep roots. I was amazed to find so many hidden roots, but my motivation was to do a damn good job so my mother had an easy time planting the new ones. Such a sense of accomplishment I would have when I walked home from high school and stared at the pretty flowers, I created the space for them to bloom. I razed the dirt and everything upon it that stood in my way. So now I say to you sweet surreal children of smoke and sky...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home