Unfavorable Topography

Monday, April 14, 2003

Blog sign, middle of a field...

Okay, gang. It's poetry time. I'm planning on taking a poetry seminar next semester with a fantastic writer/poet/professor named Michael Burkard. I think that's how you spell it. One of his book is somewhere on my shelf, but I don't feel like looking for it. Anyway, I took a poetry seminar with him before and it rocked. That's where I met Dan Lane and Lindsay Ouimette. So we're trying to get back together in this class. But I need to submit poetry in advance, so I thought I'd drop a few samples on the good ole' blog board. Here are two poems for your enjoyment. They're not great by any means, but I thought I'd a share a little bit of what I've been writing as of late.


Stipulations

I have a paralyzing fear of injury.
But all I want to do before I leave this place
Is get hit.
Preferably in the face.

I have a burning desire for injury.
But the injury has to occur in
Very specific circumstances.
Preferably in the midst of an act of heroism.

Those are the stipulations.



Hungover

It's about waking up and seeing your breath in the air,
Rolling over and stumbling, impossibly hungover, to the pair of jeans you've worn for three days.
But something between the spinning room and your numb fingers tells you

That this feels more you than you ever thought you'd feel.

So listen to that song for the tenth time in a row,
In the car that thankfully finally started.



Peace out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home