Unfavorable Topography

Friday, May 02, 2003

Earlier, nearing almost six hours ago, I unbuckled my belt before I hit the bathroom door to urinate. See, my mind was moving quicker than my body. My head was pounding, something fiercer than ever I have ever felt in my lifetime.

I had to come back to my room. I told Biddle I just had to drop off my writing portfolio and my history final paper and then I would be back to watch whatever movie the people decided on. I left the TRF 255 screening at 3:45 with plenty of time to make it to Eggers Hall before 4:30 and HBC before 4:45. Easy as pie! Piece of cake! Delicious as...

I watched my fellow students' projects after mine was viewed and I was quite pleased with the results. I laughed at Craig's drunken tomfoolery with the rest of the apparently inebriated crowd, and applauded tyler sonnichsen's mock film noir. (I just had to spell his last name out because it is such an interesting name, Craig's last name is Wood, which to me is boring so I didn't feel like spelling it out, but I just did a second ago anyway, so therefore defeated by myself) I even, yes, I did, I smiled at the sheer absurdity of Kappa Kappa Gamma bait, Slopey's tapeworm infomercial. Good job to everyone and congrats on a wonderful semester.

As the room darkened and people started filing out, we watched a student documentary on a delightful character of the university before watching the secret lost tapes of Biddle's appearance on Remote Control. Remember that show? First I watch Linklater's Slacker and now Music Television's horrible horrible gameshow that Biddle appeared on in 1990. Wow! I wonder who hosted the spring break parties back then for Music Television. I know it wasn't D.O.C.! I wouldn't have known it either professor. Anyway, around this time the room in Newhouse II was quite dark, and yet my head was pounding. It was horrible, I should have known what was going to happen, I had been getting sinus headaches for the past four days now! Damn! So when the lights came out I bolted out of the door, smiling at whoever was standing in between me and the outside world.

Breath of fresh air! Head is pounding! Cough! Fuck! Not again! I struggle my way up the hill to the quad and turn in my papers. Waiting for the elevator was the most grueling experience I have had in a while. I paced back and forth trying to take my mind off of the pain.

I hate to lie to Biddle, after he just saved my ass big time, but I had to go back to the room and fumble through Bill Martin's sock draw to find some brain medication. I popped two decongestants and two headache/pain relievers and walked out of the room to go to the bathroom to urinate.

That leaves me where I started off...unbuckling my belt and undoing the zipper before I even enter the bathroom. My head is pounding. I feel like someone's poking my brain, prodding it in a lab that reminds me of a New York city subway.

Do something to get this headache out of your head. Lie down. Put on a film. The Limey. Steven Soderbergh, my savior, my hero. No, Nicky Katt is my new hero. Captured my attention the first time on camera half way through the film. That voice, that sly wit, I knew it from somewhere. I have seen that movie that I recognize the voice from. Hurrah! Hurrah! Anyway, back to the film. I could feel my head become numb from the pain relievers. What a joke! Drugs make my head numb so it cannot feel the tumor lodged in one of my sinus cavities. Shit. Don't even joke about that, there is no tumor. I know that. I know there is no tumor, but my head feels like Athena is about to be birthed from my skull.

By the end of the film my brain was good. I felt good. I felt relaxed. The numbness had kicked in. I resent drugs for making me not feel pain, they just numb it for a little bit until it comes back after that. My brain still hurts. Bummer I cannot feel it.

About an hour ago I replay the incident. I woke up from a nap. I popped Volta Do Mar into the changer again and pressed play. I got up to go to the bathroom. This time I opened the door with my shoulder as I reached down to unbuckle my belt. This time I at least started to enter the bathroom before reaching for my belt. That is a little better I would like to think.

Progress '03

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home