Unfavorable Topography

Wednesday, November 19, 2003

Let's dust off the shelves... and also dust off the helm.

Time is flying and that's no fun at all. This was supposed to be the time to do, find, and make something to be proud of or at the very least practice and be able to laugh at the lackluster results. Nothing really happens though and I am kicking myself for a lack of direction or perhaps, inspiration. I am so sick of that word, and no Chris it's not because of your long-standing beef with the noun in question. Rather, I think I've finally realized after some two decades that there's no sense in anticipating 'inspiration' if you're just going to sit around and pout about its absence in your life. Instead, I would argue that what stimulates or fuels one's creativity isn't a person/place/thing, but how that entity makes you feel. I think that this way, you can take more credit for your overall happiness and productivity because you are doing all the ingestion and processing yourself. So it's not the painting that inspires you to look at an evening sky in a whole new way... it's not the girl that makes you try harder to appreciate the simple things that no one ever notices anyway. I really think that we can be our own inspiration so long as something triggers the sequence in whatever is the creative half of our brain.

Until it starts happening keep up with your work and get plenty of sleep. Next time: "Finding Your Own Rhythm."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home