Unfavorable Topography

Sunday, December 21, 2003

So I guess it's kind of a weird story, maybe funny now in retrospect. I remember walking around one autumn night in that south Jersey town across the river. I just needed to clear my head after being inside with my nose in a book all day long, so I walked over to, I think, a Wal-Mart or something to buy a watch. All I ate that day was some crackers I kept in my desk drawer so I planned on stopping by the 7-11 first (it was on the way) to get a fountain soda and something substantial to eat. It was dark out by this time and a little chilly, so I threw on my jacket and began the short trek. I crossed some streets and rounded some corners, as too many words jumbled around in my head... I think I became preoccupied with nothingness, or at least my empty stomach. Suddenly.

"You! Turn around! I bet you didn't think I saw you back there! You're a fucking peeping
tom!"

OK. This man pulled up in his car, opened his driver's side door and stepped out. Agitated. Holding a shotgun to my person some ten feet away.

"No, believe me I'm no peeping tom. I'm a law student. I... I know better than that."

"A law student?! You can help me with this problem I'm having..."

So I listened for a little while to some legal matter he's having, nodding, cautiously smiling. He finally put the gun away. Thinking all I really want is something to drink and a pretzel. I told him it's just my first year but wished him good luck and waved as he drove off. But something was very strange about that night... maybe it was just the chemicals in my brain that were making me think these things. I remember I had to go to Wal-Mart, like I said, to get a watch. This Timex watch that I still have but it hasn't run in years. And I just remember walking in there and thinking everyone in there was some kind of reptile. Like they had webbed feet or something. Just different than me. And I don't want to seem... not discriminatory... I guess, "elitist" or whatever. It was just this overwhelming discomfort and I missed the dog barking and the backroads to your place and a decent night's sleep and home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home