Unfavorable Topography

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Shooting casts pall over VMA's Or The most worthless news story involving pop culture and the idiocy of giant corporate networks

Please disregard whatever is in the article found on the google news page this morning off to the right in a seemingly inconspicuous position. A knock on the door this morning from Mark awoke in me a peculiar fascination in this news story and when I saw this I seemingly lost it at the stupidity and uselessness of this particular quote, which I will highlight inside a quote box and hopefully embolden.

“As with all of our events, MTV has a zero tolerance policy in regards to weapons and we take appropriate security precautions to ensure the safety of our guests,” the network said in a statement.

The absurdity of this statement is just that--utterly absurd. This is a prime example of giant corporate mindsets. In no way does this effect anything. The world gives two sighs and a slight perspiration of the brow when a matter of pop celebrity occurs in, of all places, MIAMI! Is this not the home to Scarface? Is it not where people hover about in city streets and beaches in 100 degree weather with the humidity reaching an insane level between the natural rain and natural perspiration of the earth in such searing heat. But back to the idea that MTV has to issue a statement saying they do not encourage weapons and violence. Can they not come up with anything sounding sincere and not completely generic as if it was sent through ten different people for verification before becoming so watered down that it is a mockery to even say. Is this what people learn in public relations courses, to sound so generic that people will take your insensitive words and just forget all about it? Maybe I've been reading too much football news from the Guardian. Seriously, I'm done with this MTV bull-ish. If you want an interesting read from a journalistic perspective, read the Guardian's football news. They way British people talk about football is amazing, with such entertaining language and criticism. I think I am addicted to it. See if you can understand it. To me it makes "soccer" sound like cricket or rubgy. I'm glad I ended on a jovial note.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill M. said...

Dude,

I'm glad you did end on a jovial note. I was getting worried you were going to go Rambo, or jump several letters of the alphabet and become Hurricane Sauce.

Hm, what a great idea for a hugh grant / julia roberts type movie.

trapped in the closet,
-William

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home