Unfavorable Topography

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

So all day I have been totally getting into hip-hop. Its weird! I never used to listen to the stuff. I was a huge metal fan. Van Halen was always the end-all and be-all with me. I couldn't get enough of that. Man how I wish I lived through the 80's, you know, not just grew up in the 80's. I was a 90's kid. I lived through the 80's, but I was born late enough so that I remember the Pistons winning the NBA title against the Lakers in 89, but not their classic loss to the Celtics in the Conference finals the year before. I remember the 89 series with a lot of haze, but some very lucid scenes, especially in my grandparents house, in the cold basement with the black tiles and the old couches college kids pick up off the side of the road. The basement was always cold even in the summer. It had the old furnace, the new(er) furnace and the bathroom built by my uncle (as the story goes, my uncle was drunk when he built it and that is why the door doesn't fit to a "T" and the shower is apparently slanted) I don't ever remember that. All I remember is the constant supply of Squirt and Faygo Redpop in the pantry. Sometimes there would be 7up or Faygo Orangepop, but it was a treat when I went down to that dank Dearborn basement with stairs that creaked even before the house was built and found in the pantry next to the laundry detergent and bleach a wonderful 12 pack of Faygo Rock'n'Rye. The most amazing liquid ever to touch these lips. That and Vernors, the deliciously crisp ginger ale with a hint of cream making it so so sweet. Why does Detroit have some fantastic soda pops. And so old too! Its almost laughable.

But now I am totally into hip hop. What I wouldn't give right now to be cracking Master P jokes with Bill in our Dellplados split double or some ol' fashioned Craig impersonations of JT Money in Cosens' backyard. Even McGlone should get in on that -ish. I think Bill's been sort of feeling it too. I noticed the Sage Francis quote in his away message. And it got me thinking of freshman year when we listened to Rapping with Apathy over and over again. Krauser! Get up in there!

Those were fun times. I remember laughing a good while.

I've moved on since then. I listen to a lot of folk music now. But today I caught myself humming an old Alias line from a Deep Puddle song. My old favorite "I motion eye motion", which graced many away messages and profiles. I am now on www.ohhla.com (Original Hip Hop Lyrics Archive) to try and locate the song. I thought it was from Where the Wild Things are, but I was wrong. Oh well. I will listen to it when I get home. I think I brought it across the country with me. It is one of those albums I cannot live without.

Oh yeah, I listen to hip hop now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill M. said...

you are hip hop (move the crowd)

6:12 PM  
Blogger Chris Sauchak said...

That's right Bill. Aww gia! I knew it!

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home