Unfavorable Topography

Sunday, January 15, 2006

I think it's maybe slighly pathetic that the highlight of my Sunday night will be the weekly tabulation of my last.fm statistics. No, I won't be watching '24' even though I know I'll be out of the loop for many lunches to come. That's OK though, because instead I can make sure that the Sense song coming out of my laptop speakers right now is accurately being represented as the 4,714th song I have listened to since installing last's Audioscrobbler plugin a few months ago.

Good, it is. "Elran" has been listened to by 52 other people recently. Suprisingly, this only represents 3.3% of total Sense listeners. I did not know that his real name is Adam M. Raisbeck.

I've noticed that since a public record of my listening statistics has been made available, I find myself almost obsessively trying to avoid faux pas like playing the same song back to back or listening to Saves the Day. Glancing at last week's Weekly Top Artists shows that I failed to avoid at least one of those. I can't make any promises though about the twice-in-a-row thing.

The recommendations component of the site has yet to win me over, though. Right now, several of the bands last.fm has recommended for me are on old mix CDs I made in 1999 or have since recently broken up (get up kids, the anniversary, further seems forever, the unicorns) or have really lame names that do not interest me at this moment in time (oktober skyline, clem snide a.k.a CMJ buzz band '03, blame game). I really hope it's not me and my personal tastes that are dropping the ball in the recommendations department. How embarassing if that is the case!

Man, Adam's top 10 has been compiled. I see he's listened to the new Prefuse about one and a half times this week. And some Jason Molina, which I can only assume he puts on before bed. If I'm wrong, maybe I should be paying better attention to someone else's stats other than my own. Right.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Sauchak said...

favorite tag(s): kinsella

Go Figure!

(Go figure what? What a lame expression--is Nixon president or something?)

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home